Can I get a job with G-1 visa in Korea? ( Permission to engage in activity outside of your status )

Hello, It's K-Visa again ๐Ÿฅฐ

Recently, we have been receiving 

a lot of inquiries about the G-1 visa.

Since most of the G-1 recipients are foreigners 

who have applied for refugee status,

 it is commonly referred to as a refugee visa.

However, foreigners who are unable to extend 

their status of residence and have to return 

to their home country for unavoidable circumstances 

can also apply for G-1 visa.

Only 1.5% of applicants are approved as a refugee.

Getting a refugee permit is like going through the eye of a needle.

For this reason, refugee applicants who have received a G-1 visa 

stay in Korea and seek employment after obtaining permission

to engage in activities other than the status of residence.

Let's check with K-Visa about 

the qualifications to get a G-1 visa 

and how to get permission to engage in activities

 other than the status of residence.

๐Ÿ’ก Miscellaneous ( G-1 ) Visa

A person recognized by the Minister of Justice 

who does not fall under the status of residence for 

diplomacy (A-1), migrant marriage (F-6), 

tourism employment (H-1) or Visit and work (H-2) 

can receive G-1 visa

It is a visa that allows for a stay of 6 months 

for those who have unavoidable circumstances

 and cannot leave Korea immediately.

The G-1 holders must extend their stay every 6 months.

๐Ÿ’‍โ™‚๏ธ Eligibility of Miscellaneous ( G-1 ) Visa

The following persons are eligible for the G-1 visa issuance.

1. Foreigners who are claiming and receiving treatment

for industrial accidents and their families

2. Foreigners and their families being treated 

for illness and accident

3. Foreigners in the process of various lawsuits

4. Foreigners in arbitrationat the labor office 

due to non-payment of wages

5. Foreigners applying forrefugee status

6. Persons with humanitarian sojourn permit among 

non-recognized refugees

7. Families of foreigners who died in accidents, etc.

8. Persons with humanitarian sojourn permits

 such as pregnancy and childbirth

9. Patients and their families who need long-term treatment 

after entering the country due to illness, etc.

10. Humanitarian aid such as victims of sexual violence

11. Families of humanitarian sojourners (G-1-6)

12. Other reasons applicable 

๐Ÿ™Œ Permission to engage in activity 

outside of your status 

If a foreigner residing in the Republic of Korea wants

to engage in activities that fall under other status of residence

in addition to activities that fall under the status of residence, 

She/he must obtain permission

from the Minister of Justice in advance to engage 

in activities other than the status of residence.

Foreigners with a G-1 visa can work after 6 months

through permission to engage in activities

 other than the status of residence.

If you work without permission, 

you may be subject to disadvantages such as 

fines and departure measures.

๐Ÿ™Œ Who is eligible to apply? 

In order for a foreigner with a G-1 visa 

to engage in job hunting, 

one of the following must be met.

1๏ธโƒฃ Family of a person who died 

in an accident ( G-1-7 )

2๏ธโƒฃ Persons who need humanitarian consideration, 

such as victims of sexual violence ( G-1-11 )

3๏ธโƒฃ Persons who fall under any other reason

4๏ธโƒฃ Those who have applied for refugee status within 6 months

5๏ธโƒฃ Among those who have not been recognized as refugees, 

those who have obtained a humanitarian residence permit 

and their families ( G-1-12 )

6๏ธโƒฃ Families of those who have received refugee status ( F-1-16 )

๐Ÿšซ Restricted Industries with G-1 Visa

1๏ธโƒฃ Construction

(Among those who have not been recognized as refugees, 

those who have been granted humanitarian sojourn and 

their families and families of recognized refugees are excluded)

2๏ธโƒฃ Speculative business (High-risk investment etc.,)

3๏ธโƒฃ Entertainment receptionist at Danran pubs, 

entertainment pubs, etc.

4๏ธโƒฃ Private tutoring activities

5๏ธโƒฃ Entry of youth, employment-prohibited businesses, etc.

๐Ÿ“† Permitted period

Basically, it is possible to work for up to one year 

within the scope of the period of stay. 

However, in the case of refugee status applicants, 

it is possible until the period of residence permit.

๐Ÿ–‡ Procedure to get permission

1๏ธโƒฃ Check the foreigner's status of residence (G-1) 

and period of stay / passport validity

2๏ธโƒฃ Check the period of residence permit, 

employment and employment availability of foreigners

3๏ธโƒฃ Fill out the employment contract 

and accommodation provision confirmation

4๏ธโƒฃ Reservation to visit the Immigration Office

5๏ธโƒฃ Visit the immigration office to apply for and 

issue permission for activities other than 

the status of residence

๐Ÿ—‚ Documents to submit

1๏ธโƒฃ Application form (Report Form)

2๏ธโƒฃ Original foreign passport and alien registration card

3๏ธโƒฃ Employment contract

4๏ธโƒฃ Copy of business registration certificate

5๏ธโƒฃ Residence Accommodation Provision 

Confirmation and Provider Status

6๏ธโƒฃ Immigration Fee

Licensed administrative agents

who are specialized in immigration provide 

personalized & multilingual visa service at K-VISA.

Pleae learn about our services

Visa Consultation